Richard Engel Biography
Richard Engel is an American journalist working currently at NBC News as Chief Foreign Correspondent. Richard was born on 16th September 1973. He has worked on various Masterpeice Reports like “War Zone Diary” that made him very popular. Richard has been a broadcast journalist broadcasting about various war-torn countries like Iraq and Syria.
He has covered important details about War In Iraq, Egypt Civil War, Somalia, the Arab Spring and Civil War In Syria.
Richard Engel Photo
Richard Engel Facts
Age: 16th September 1973 (age 47)
Birth Place: New York- Upper Manhattan
Children: Henry & Theo
Spouse: Mary Forrest
Profession: Journalist and Author
Net Worth: $ 4 Million
Richard Engel Age
Richard Engel was born on 16 September, 1973(47yrs as of 2020) His father Peter and Mother Nina came from ewish and Swedish origins respectively.
Richard Engel Speaks and reads fluent American English, Italian, Arabic and Spanish.
Richard Engel Height
Richard Engel stands at a aheight of 6 feet tall same as Drake.
Richard Engel Wife
Richrad Engel is married to Mary Forrest with whom he has had two sons.
Richard Engel Early Life
Richard suffered dyslexia in his young life. He attended Riverdale Country School where he struggled and later progressed and became indepedent and learnt about being a leader at the age of 13. He later joined The Stanford University and he would occassionally write for The Stanford Daily. He graduated with B.A in International Relations form Stanford University at the age of 23.
Richard Engel Family
Richard is married to his beautiful wife Mary Forrest and blessed with two sons namely Henry and Theo. His elder son had a condition called Rett Sydrome which he relates the difficult feeling of watching his first son being passed in development by the younger one with the condition. The condition is a rare neurological disorder.
Richard Engel Journalism
Richard Engel preffered to ride the ‘Train Of History’ as oppossed to watching it pass in his description of choice of career after graduating. He worked as a freelance reporter In Cairo Egypt for about four years, where he learned to write and speak fluent Arabic.
Richard has worked in many capacities in different stations among them are The World, Abc News, NBC, BBC World Service, Public Radion International and WGHB( a public radion station in Boston), JANES Defence Weekly and Reuters.
Engel has been stationed in many dangerous countries like Afghanstan-Kabul, Egypt covering Egyptian Revolution, Libya coverig Libyan Civil War, Somalia covering ”the most dangerous city” and Lebanon covering Lebanon War. At one time Engel was nearly shot while covering Libya Civil War in Benghazi. Engel has also covered the conflict between Israel and Gaza, he currently hosts MSNBC Special Series.
Engel`s courage has been depicted openly many times, he was the only journalist who remained in Baghdad Iraq when all other News Stations were withdrawing their journalists. Engel covered the trial of Saddam Hussein and later his execution. He was granted access by Sunni insurgents, families affected by war, witnesses of events of war, Shiite militias and even US military commanders.
Engel has survived IED attacks, ambushes,kidnapping attempts and bombings. His courage has paid him handsomely with some privileges like meeting Bush in 2007 at White House as well as being able to cover extensive details of war in war-torn countries.
Engel has manged to gather most important details about the Arab Spring all the way from Egypt, Syria, Libya, Tunisia, Bahrain, Yemen and others. He interviewed protesting citizens, fighters and rebels.
Richard Engel Awards
- 2006, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2006, RTNDA Edward R. Murrow Award
- 2007, Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism
- 2008, Peabody Award, for his coverage of the Viper Company, a remote U.S. Army unit in Afghanistan
- 2008, Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award
- 2008, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Continuing Coverage of a News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2008, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Live Coverage of a Breaking News Story
- 2009, George Foster Peabody Award
- 2009, Edward R. Murrow Award
- 2009, Society of Professional Journalism Award
- 2009, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Continuing Coverage of a News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2010, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Best Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2010, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding News Discussion & Analysis
- 2010, Gracie Award
- 2010, OPC David Kaplan Award for spot news reporting for a series of three reports from Afghanistan
- 2011, David Bloom Award, Radio and Television Correspondents’ Association, for Excellence in Enterprise Reporting
- 2011, Daniel Pearl Award
- 2011, Overseas Press Club Award
- 2012, Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award
- 2013, John Chancellor Award
- 2014, Peabody Award for his comprehensive look at the rise of ISIS
- 2015, Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2015, Outstanding Hard News Report in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2015, Fred Friendly First Amendment Award
Richard Engel Books
- A Fist in the Hornet`s Nest Published in 2004
- And Then Hell Broke Loose Published in 2016
Richard Engel Networth and Salary
Richard Engel has a Estimated Networth of about $4,000,000.(four million dollars). He is paid a handsome annual salary but he has not disclosed his exact amount yet.